I am starting a new series on my blog this week, every friday I will post ten things I think about the upcoming weekend of sports.
- I think the Carolina Panthers beat the Washington Redskins. Cam Newton actually looked like a frustrated rookie quarterback last week which isn’t a good sign for Panthers fans. From what I have heard from the Panthers camp Newton beats himself up and strives to be better after every loss, and just when you need a win the Shanahan and Beck led Redskins come to town. Although Jim Haslett may have a few tricks up his sleeves defensively I think the Panthers commitment to the 3-4 defensive scheme will stymie the Redskins offensive game plan, and the game will end with Cam Newton kneeing the ball for the first time in his professional career.
- I think Carson Palmer starts in Oakland and I think Carson Palmer flourishes. Having escaped the dysfunctional quagmire that is the Cincinnati Bengals and being reunited with his old USC coach Hue Jackson leads to a championship contender in Oakland.
- I think the most interesting matchup in the SEC saturday are the two teams not playing. South Carolina has dismissed Stephen Garcia, their starting quarterback, from the team and lost Marcus Lattimore, their Heismen Trophy caliber tailback, all in the past two weeks. Georgia has won 5 games in a row in dramatic fashion and continues to get better on offense behind sophomore Arron Murray and Freshman tailback Isaiah Crowell. Needless to say it seems that the SEC East is wide open with the Bulldogs looking like the most capable team to win due to their favorable schedule.
- I think I like the Texas Rangers to win on Saturday, as long as Josh Hamilton keeps swinging the bat in the 3rd spot.
- I think that Christian Ponder is going to shock the Green Bay Packers and hand the defending Super Bowl champions their first loss of the season. With the help of a heavy dosage of Adrian Peterson and Visanthe Shiancoe as a security blanket Ponder wins his first start and gives hope to the beleaguered franchise in Minnesota.
- I think even with three key players being suspended from LSU they still pull out a victory over Auburn. Especially now that Jordan Jefferson has the 49 pairs of shoes the police seized back in his possession. The Tigers couldn’t have asked for a better omen.
- I think its interesting that Arthur Rhodes pitches for the St. Louis Cardinals under a $100,000 dollar contract, while he is getting paid $1.1 million dollars by the Texas Rangers to close them out in the 8th inning. Can’t decide which General Manager is happier or more upset about that situation.
- I think the NBA makes no headway on their CBA talks. The difference between the NBA and the NFL is that NBA players have the opportunity to play for just as much money abroad, while the owners and NBA investors lose money. Advantage players.
- I think that the Madden curse will continue to hold true and Peyton Hillis of the Cleveland Browns will not play this week against the Seattle Seahawks. To bad Peyton Manning wasn’t put on the cover so that the Madden curse could be blamed for possibly ending the career of one of the greatest quarterbacks the game has seen.
- I think this is finally the week when Dale Earnhardt Jr. breaks his long winless streak. He has a good history at Talladega and still being a part of the chase for the Championship may be just the “push” he needs to get back into the win column.